What information does SLS collect from you?
We collect information in several ways. Some of the information we collect is personal to you. Other information is anonymous. We collect the following categories of information:
- When you sign up to receive e-alerts and announcements, we ask you for your first and last name, email address and company
- When you log into our client extranet site to upload documents, we ask you for the Username and Password that have been previously provided to you
- When you report a problem with our site or services we will collect contact information along with a description of your problem
- When you contact us via the firm email addresses, we will collect your contact information and any information you include in your email
- When you pay a bill online under our “Online Payments” section, we ask for transaction information including your company name, first and last name, mailing address, phone number, email address, client matter number, invoice number and payment information. If you chose to pay with a bank account, payment information includes accountholder name, address, and phone number along with bank routing number and bank account number. If the account is a corporate bank account, we ask for the name of the person submitting the payment on behalf of the company
- When you visit and navigate our site, use our applications or third party sites, or open our emails, we may collect technical information about your use of our site including IP address, device identifier, and viewing information
How do we collect information from you?
We collect much of the information listed above directly from you when you submit it on our website. This includes information such as registration information, contact information and payment information. If you do not want to share your information, you can choose not to participate in a particular service or activity.
Indirect Collection – Cookies and Other Technology
- Provide you with personalized content based on your use of our site.
- Enable you to more easily use our site by remembering and using contact information, purchasing information, and registration information.
- Evaluate, monitor and analyze the use of our site and its traffic patterns to help improve our site and services.
The types of technologies we use include:
Some cookies are “persistent cookies”. They are used by us each time you access our website. We may, for example, use a persistent cookie to help you pre-populate information when you log into our payment gateway. Other cookies are called “session cookies”. Session cookies are used only during a specific browsing session. We may use a session cookie, for example, to remember that you have already navigated through a particular menu, or that you have entered in age information for a portion of a site that is restricted by age.
We may also use “analytics cookies” that allow web analytics services, such as Google Analytics and Ektron, to recognize your browser or device and, for example, identify whether you have visited our website before, what you have previously viewed or clicked on, and how you found us. This information is provided anonymously for statistical analysis only. Analytics cookies are usually persistent cookies.
You may disable browser cookies in your browser or set your browser to warn you when a cookie is being sent. You may lose some features or functionality when you disable cookies. Remember, also, that disabling cookies is browser specific. If you log on using Internet Explorer, you must also disable cookies in Safari if you use that browser at a different time.
- Log Files. Like most standard website servers, we use log files. Log files track Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We utilize this information to analyze trends, administer the site, prevent fraud, track website navigation in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
- Web Beacons. We also employ a software technology called a clear GIF (Graphics Interchange Format), also known as a pixel tag or Web beacon. A clear GIF is a line of code that we place on our websites or in e-mails which allows us to analyze our advertising and the general usage patterns of visitors to our websites. These help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. We do not collect personally identifiable information from you through the use of web beacons. You may not disable Web beacons.
Indirect Collection – Social Networking
How do we use your information?
Our main goal in collecting information is to improve the site and provide you with the best possible experience on the site. For example, by using the information we collect, we can provide you with an easy to use and readily available forum to learn about our legal services.
We will also use your personal information to:
- Notify you of other services, events, or information available from SLS
- Enable you to participate in online bill payments
- Enable you to upload documents using our client extranet service
- Personalize online content so that is applies to you and your interests
- Make our services and website better
- Analyze and understand the use of our website
- Detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
Who is collecting information?
With whom does SLS share my information?
We will not disclose any of your personally identifiable information except when we have your permission or under special circumstances, such as when we believe in good faith that the law requires it or under the circumstances described below. These are some of the ways that your information may be disclosed:
We occasionally hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, including website development and operation, preparing marketing materials, sending postal mail or email, analyzing website use, processing payments and processing data. We will only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service, and they are contractually prohibited from using that information for any other reason.
Data in the Aggregate
We may disclose “blinded” aggregated data and user statistics to prospective partners and other third parties. Blinded data is data that does not identify an individual person.
How can I control my personal information?
We offer our clients choices for the collection, use and sharing of personal information. You may contact us at *protected email* if you wish to view, edit, or delete your personal information from our database, and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to accommodate your request.
If you believe that any inaccurate or inappropriate information has been obtained or provided to others through your use of this website, you should contact a representative of SLS at *protected email*
How does SLS protect financial-related information?
Keeping your personal financial information private is very important to us. As a matter of policy and long-time business practice, we do not sell or share financial information provided by our users. We will transfer your credit card number, bank account number or other personal information to the appropriate credit card company, bank or other service provider in order to process any online payments.
What security precautions are in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of my information?
Your SLS account information for the client extranet is password-protected so that only you have access to this information. We use encryption technology for credit card numbers, bank account numbers, passwords, and extranet access information. Remember to sign out of your extranet account and close your browser window when you have finished your work. This is to ensure that others cannot access your account by using your computer when you are away from it. We do not use encryption for information you submit when you subscribe to e-alerts or other notifications. Because information sent through the Internet travels from computer to computer throughout the world, when you give us information that information may be sent electronically to servers outside of the country where you originally entered the information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Except as specifically stated, this site does not use security encryption measures. Information that you disclose by use of this site (as with any site that is non-secure), by posting a message or using e-mail, potentially could be collected and used by others. This may result in unsolicited messages from third parties or use of such information by third parties for their own purposes, legal or illegal. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our services, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we use commercially reasonable efforts to ensure its security on our systems.
To ensure that you will not receive recurring marketing or other information from us unless you choose to, we will provide you with simple instructions on each marketing email from Company for you to let us know that you have chosen to stop receiving such emails from us.
What else should I know about my privacy?
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose information online, that information is accessible to other customers and users. Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and/or any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online.
When you or we end your client relationship with us, we will treat the information we have about you as if you were still our client.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to or write us:
Stinson Leonard Street LLP
Attn: Director of Public Relations
50 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Make sure to state that you are a California resident.
Do Not Track
Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that users can set in their web browsers. While the United States Federal Trade Commission has endorsed DNT, our website does not support DNT codes. However, except in the case of analytics cookies described above, our website limits tracking to the internal uses described above and does not enable the tracking of our users across multiple websites. Except in the case of analytics cookies described above, our website does not track your use across multiple websites, however, other websites to which we link may. Please review their privacy policies to understand how you may be tracked.
If you need further assistance, please send an email with your questions or comments to *protected email* or write us at:
Stinson Leonard Street LLP
Attn: Director of Public Relations
50 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402